Monday, June 11, 2012

I survived :)

Oy, I made it.

The last week was busy, stressful, hot, full of family, music, palm trees and cakes.

I finished (almost) the set for our VBS that started today.  Myself and a friend (along with another made flowers) made a bunch of palm trees (think 2-12' palm trees), a fiery furnace (think Rack, Shack and Benny), a jail, a tomb, and a house (fridge and lawnmower box).  Oh yeah and a waterfall.  Done.  Washed my hands of that (basically) last Thursday after a stressful day of almost finishing up.  I still need to make the inside more jail like.  But that's Thursday after VBS is done that day.

I'm going to brag on myself a little bit.  I'm pretty proud of what we accomplished.

Today, and the rest of this week, I'm "security".  I have the best job this year.  It's so cake.  I need a cake job during VBS this year.  'Cause mama's tired.

Friday, I made three cakes, two Mickey Mouse heads - one each for Thing 1&2, and I made the Clubhouse (it had marshmellow frosting and crushed oreo between the tiers-yum!).  Oh and these really cute and yummy Mickey Mouse cookie pops out of oreos (double and mini's - mine were plain, dipped completely)  Idea from pinterest of course!

Saturday, I took the kiddos to a family music festival that happens to be a few miles away from us called "Joyful Noise."  It was hot and humid, but I think at least Thing 1 had fun.  It had like 10 bouncy things, a few rides and live music (Christian bands) all day.  I'm really glad I didn't have to pay for Thing 2 - she was only interested in the train and sand tables (funny how we have those things at home, NOT the bouncies that we don't have)  Oh well.  Thing one had fun at his first concert.  We stayed for 7 hours (DD came and got Thing 2 for a nap at 1:00 and brought us lunch).  We saw 2 of the three acts I had wanted to see (We saw Jason Gray and Go Fish, missed Matt Maher :( )Thing 1 got tired of sitting, and wanted another train ride).  We had cotton candy.  It was fun.  Really hot, but fun.  Did I mention the high was 92? 

After Thing 1 and I got home, I was so hot, and tired, and tired of people I swore I wasn't going back to see the last act like I had planned (wrist band - you could re-enter).  I rinsed off and made a cocktail. It was great to sit, and be cool in my house.  I really didn't think I was going back.  Then we put the kids to bed, and I kept thinking about how much I wanted to go back.  So I did.  And I'm so glad I did.

I got there to see part of the second to last act, Peter Furler.  He was awesome.  I wish I had seen the whole thing.  (I looked for a good youtube video of him - none of them come close to how "awesomer" he is in concert.  He cranks it to 11, let me just say)  I first found a seat further back in the stands.  It had a semi obstructed view and decided, you know what?  I thought, I have no kids.  I don't even have my purse (shoved the bare essentials in my pockets).  I'm going up front to the pit.  So I did.  It was loud and crowded and awesome.  I helped throw a beach ball around.  And the sunset was beautiful.

I was on the left side of the "pit".  Do you see my pink shirt (JK - I can't see me either - but I'm there!)

After Peter Furler, a few people left and I got a middle spot for Toby Mac.  And oh my, what a great show.  Here is one of the many songs I love of his.  I can't begin to describe how much fun it was.  And, more importantly, how absolutely I felt God's love pouring down on me that night.  My Father loved on me totally and completely that night.  It was an amazing night.

It took me an hour to get home.  Did I mention I live three miles away?  Yeah, the Blaine Sports Center is not prepared for mass exodus.  I'll plan better next time. 

I didn't get anything done for the party that day.  Oh well.  I'd rather make memories than a clean house 8)

Late night, early morning getting ready for the kiddos birthday party.  My sisters came early to help.  We were actually kind of on time, even a little early by the time the guests arrived.  The new recipes tried were good, the kids had fun, I had a good time with friends and family, it didn't RAIN or STORM.  It was a great day.

We got the kids to bed early (Thing 2 fell asleep in about 2 seconds).  I went and poured a glass of wine and sat down and fell asleep on the couch 30 mins later.  I was one tired mama. 

But it was all worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see pictures of your cakes!! Glad you had such a lovely weekend - and some "alone-Mama" time is always necessary for sanity!